Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Kevin,
Yes, there are a couple of ways to do it. Here is one way:
1. In the source file select the cabinet you want to save for later recall. You can right click on it and choose CabWriter/Select Cabinet.
2. When the entire cabinet is selected right click again and choose Unlock. The selection color will now turn to blue instead of red.
3. Use the Edit/Copy command to copy the cabinet.
4. Open a new, empty SketchUp file.
5. Save this file with a meaningful name for the cabinet you want to save for later use in other models. I’ll call this the destination file.
6. In the destination file choose the CabWriter Create Project icon to make this a CabWriter project file.
7. In the destination file use the Edit/Paste command and place the cabinet at the Origin. (You can also use the Edit/Past In Place command if you wish).
8. This is a very important step: Select one component of the cabinet and then select the CabWriter Re-Number Cabinet tool. Enter a number higher than any cabinet number you expect to find in a model such as 1000.
9. Save the file in a folder of your choice.Later on, when you want to use this cabinet in a future model all you have to do is drag and drop its file icon into the new model and place it. It will come in as a component with a Definition name the same as its file name. You can now select the component, right click and choose Explode. The cabinet will return to its original component parts, each part beginning with C1000 in this example. When you new model is fully modeled you can use the CabWriter Renumber Cabinets tool to renumber all the cabinets sequentially.
SketchUp, independent of CabWriter, allows you to create a component library of your own. Go to your Components dialog box and choose the In Model icon. Next select the Details icon at the right (see attached image). Choose “Open or create a local collection…”. Now you can have an entire library of custom cabinets. Remember any .skp file can be added to a library as a library component. Hoe this helps.
Joe…
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Johan,
We will be adding two types of cabinets to our next major release (I may make minor releases to fix bugs in the interim): tall base cabinet for ovens and pantries and a lazy susan corner cab base and upper. It will not be long before we release this major update, perhaps late June early July. Thanks for your feedback.
Joe…
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Guys,
The problems discussed in this thread have been resolved and their fixes are in CabWriter release CabWriter 0.8.6 May 23, 2016 Beta. You will find it by clicking on the Beta Testers menu.
Joe…
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorOK, that didn’t work. I am going to add them to the release folder and leave the old ones there too. So look for the two files with May 22 dates.
Joe….
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi gadgetguru,
I have a new release that I hope will fix this problem. I would like to send it to you to try. I don’t want to put it in the release folder until we can verify that it works. There is actually two files attached; CutList Bridge DXF and CabWriter. Would you please do a clean install and give them a try and let me know how you make out.
As background, this problem is not actually a CabWriter problem. There appears to be a Ruby method or constant missing called GetString. We proved that by completely cleaning out CabWriter and CutList Bridge and attempted to call this method or constant and got a failure on your machine and none on my PC or Mac and Greg’s Mac. My guess is that there is another extension that is in your Plugins folder that is misbehaving by redefining this method/constant or has removed a file installed by SketchUp and is now not available. I have changed CabWriter so that it never calls the missing method/constant, but uses other code. I have high hopes that this solves the problem for CabWriter, but the root cause is still there and you may find another pluging runs into it. Let’s see.
p.s. Can you let me know your first name? I feel funny calling you gadgetguru.
Thanks,
Joe…chiefwoodworker
SpectatorWhen you say you went back to previous version and all was ok do you mean the previous release of CabWriter?
If so, that is very interesting and helpful.
Joe…
-
This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by
chiefwoodworker.
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorThanks for the quick response. As Greg mentioned we are at a show and it is difficult to debug or research this problem here. But I will delve into it when I get back on Saturday or Sunday. I can’t imagine what is has to do with CabWriter but somehow I will get to the bottom of it.
Thanks for your patience,
Joe…
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Guys,
I am suspecting an installation problem, likely a missing SketchUp file, or a SketchUp bug. To test that could you try the following for me?
1. Clear CabWriter and CutList Bridge out of your Plugin folders just like you did for the clean install.
2. Open the Ruby Console and in the bottom input field cut and paste the following code:txt = “Select starting point of stile. Ctrl cycles Mode.”
Sketchup::set_status_text $exStrings.GetString(txt), SB_PROMPT3. Hit Enter and do not touch you mouse (make sure the Ruby Console is not covering up the Status Bar prior to this step).
4. Look at the Status bar and see if it contains the text “Select starting point of stile. Ctrl cycles Mode.”
5. I suspect it will not and I also suspect you will get an error message in the Ruby Console. If so please copy that message and send it to me.Thanks,
Joe…
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Guys,
I downloaded the new release from the same place using the same link and installed it on my Mac with the latest OS and SketchUp 2016. Just two minutes ago I created the drawing below and didn’t have a Story Stick problem. Can you help me with answers to a few questions?
1. Are you drawing on a construction line with the Story Stick? You can’t just draw on the axis, it must be on a construction line.
2. Do you get a message when you attempt to use the Story Stick?
3. Try it again, this time with the Window/Ruby Console open and let me know if you see an error message there. Cut and paste it into a reply to this post.
4. Can you open the SketchUp/Preferences dialog box and select the Extensions page. Then select CabWriter and at the bottom be sure the version says May 17, 2016.
Let me know the results and I will see what I can do to help. Thanks,
Joe…
Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.chiefwoodworker
SpectatorThanks again. Want a job as an editor? It appears I need one ;<) Joe....
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi Mobile985,
Did you do a clean install like I described in Installing the Latest Versions of CutList Bridge & CabWriter in the Miscellaneous forum? If not try that firtst. Then, if you are still having problems could you please e-mail me at [email protected] and give me a phone number and a time when you are at your machine. I will call you and walk you through the installation.
Joe….
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorThanks, I see that I misspelled width in several places. Thanks for the sharp eye.
Joe…
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorJohn,
Greg mentioned the cut list that gets sent to CutList Plus fx for sheet optimization. CutList Plus fx can also print labels from the CutList Bridge data that it imports. See the attached label below.
Part: (1 of 1) tells you that this is a unique part, only one like it in the model.
The second line is the thickness of the material followed by the overall width and length of the part.
C4LB1 Back means it is the back of Box #1 in cabinet #4 which is a lower (base) cabinet. There is a separator and then SA: Base Boxes. This means that the sub-assembly is a Base Box on the Base Boxes layer.
The fourth line is the material type and name.
The fifth line, W(17 1/4″) means that the width was cut larger than final dimension (see 17 1/2″ on the second line) and must be cut to a final dimension of 17 1/4″. Length and thickness can also be set to oversize.
So this label helps tremendously in helping to sort parts into stacks.

Joe…
-
This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by
chiefwoodworker.
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorHi J,
I am the software guy on our team of two. Greg Larson is the guy with the cabinetmaking knowledge, so I am going to let him answer this from a “practical” view point. I will take a stab at the “possible” viewpoint. If I understand your question you want to break cabinets into colors, one color per cabinet. Further, your question seems to indicate that you would like the layers to be coded with those colors and each layer contain a cabinet (one cabinet per layer).
If you have used CabWriter at this point you will notice that the SU layers are actually sub-assemblies (boxes, doors, drawers, end panels, face frames etc.), not cabinets. Changing this would be a major change to CabWriter.
I assume that when you say “The greatest problem I have in using CutList Is” you mean CutList Bridge, the cut list software that comes with CabWriter; and when you refer to “labels” you are referring to the labels printed out by CutList Plus fx. Is that correct? It would be possible to add a color field to CutList Bridge, because that is in our control, but the labels are printed by CutList Plus fx; a third party. He would have to take the field we provide in CutList Bridge and provide a color field in the cut list and also a color block on the label. I am not sure how amenable he would be to making that change. I know him well and can feel him out. But I would like to hear Greg’s comments on practicality. He has built about five or more kitchens using CabWriter and does the kind of sorting and stacking you are describing all with the cabinet number that appears on the label currently.
Joe…
-
This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by
chiefwoodworker.
chiefwoodworker
SpectatorThanks David,
Just curious. Do you do diagonal corner cabinets?
Joe…. -
This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts
